Happy August everyone!
The kids are back in school, senior colleges start back next week and there are so many nutrition related things to celebrate this month:
- Kids Eat Right Month – a promotion from The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics and the Academy Foundation with resources for Registered Dietitian Nutritionists to help families shop smart, cook healthy and eat right
- National Breastfeeding Month – the United State Breastfeeding Committee has themes for each week of the month: http://www.usbreastfeeding.org/nbm
- And it’s National Catfish Month – according to Mississippi State University, Mississippi leads the U.S. in catfish production
Our districts are starting up fall meetings. Check out articles in this newsletter and on our Facebook page (www.facebook.com/MSANandD) for information about these events.
The Academy has an open call for nominations. Please see the article below for more information.
Your MS-AND President-elect, Brady Taylor, has been working hard on conference planning for our 2019 conference. We will send out information about that in the coming months.
If you are coming to The Academy’s Food and Nutrition Conference and Expo (FNCE), please let me know. I’d love to catch up in Washington, D.C.
Stay cool and I hope to see you at District meetings!
President, Mississippi Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Now Accepting Applications for Open Positions on the MS-AND Board 2019-2020 Ballot
The nominating committee is now accepting nominations for the open positions (President-Elect, Secretary, Chair-Elect CPI, Chair-Elect COER, and Nominating Committee Member) on the MS-AND Board 2019-2020 ballot. Click here to read brief descriptions of these positions. The terms for these positions will begin in May, but we are preparing the ballot now for the spring election. Who do you know that would be a good fit for these positions? Please call, email, text, or Facebook members that would be a good fit for these positions. Additionally, you may send names and contact information to any member of the nominating committee (see PDF for contact info) that you think would be good nominees.
Update from the Northwest MS-AND District
We will have our fall meeting Wednesday, September 26th at 1:00pm. Our guest speaker is Ashley Holloway who works with Abbott Nutrition, and she will be presenting on Wound healing. Please be on the look out for a flyer in your email for more information about the meeting. We hope to see you there! Once again, if you would like to be added to our mailing list, please email NWMSAND@gmail.com.
Update from the Central MS-AND District
The Central District of the Mississippi Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics will host their first meeting of the year on Thursday, September 20 from 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. at Mississippi State Hospital (3550 MS-468 Pearl, MS 39208) in Building 56 – James C. Stubbs Conference Center. Jacinda Roach, PhD, RD, LD will present Health Literacy in Mississippi. Lunch will be provided by Valley Services, Inc. CEU will also be provided. Dues will be collected at the meeting which are $10 per meeting/$20 per year for active members, and $10 per year for students and retired members. Please contact email@example.com for more information.
Mississippians on the Academy Board – Yes, Please!
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics has nominations are open for several positions – let’s get some Mississippians on the ballot!
- The nominations for president-elect, speaker-elect and treasurer-elect close August 31, 2018.
- The nominations due October 26, 3018 include:
- Board of Directors has three additional positions available: Director-at-Large, House of Delegates Speaker-elect, House of Delegates Director;
- House of Delegates has two positions available: Delegate-at-Large: Retired and Delegate-at-Large: 30 Years of Age and Under
- The Nominating Committee has three positions available: National Leader (two positions) and Leader with Board of Directors Experience in the Past 10 Years (one position);
- The Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics has one position available: Practitioner Representative, Registered Dietitian Nutritionist;
- The Commission on Dietetic Registration has four positions available: Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (three positions) and Nominating Committee Registered Dietitian Nutritionist Representative (one position)
Please submit your nominations through The Academy: https://www.eatrightpro.org/leadership/nominations-and-elections/national-leadership-positions/election-positions-available
In August we Celebrate Kids Eat Right Month
Time passes so FAST! This year marks the 5th Annual Kids Eat Right Month. This is a time for members to focus on the importance of healthful eating and active lifestyles for children and their families.
Created in 2014, Kids Eat Right Month mobilizes registered dietitian nutritionists in a grassroots movement to share healthful eating messages to help families adopt nutritious eating habits.
Check out the Academy Media Kit to help promote your work with kids and families: https://www.eatrightpro.org/media/multimedia-news-center/kids-eat-right-month-media-materials
Attending FNCE® Delivers a Positive Return on Investment
Nothing could provide you with a greater value than the career benefits you’ll receive from attending FNCE®. You will learn the latest scientific information on food and nutrition, discover new dietetic trends, connect with peers and access the top experts—all in just four days. And you’ll learn how to apply your updated skills and knowledge, enabling you to immediately improve your employer’s overall workplace practices and performance. The return on investment will be evident in the bottom line! If you’d like suggestions about talking to you’re employer about going to FNCE, check out this tool kit: https://eatrightfnce.org/attend/talk-fnce-to-your-employer/
Visit www.eatrightFNCE.org to learn more today and we’ll see you in Washington D.C.