POSITION TITLE: Nutrition Consultant
We are seeking an inspired Nutrition Consultant to join our Shine Implement team in Mississippi.
The Nutrition Consultant is responsible for supporting the program in the area of nutrition. The Nutritionist will utilize health and nutrition trend data, community assessment, and other community indicators to inform health and wellness planning, and to target specific interventions to at-risk children and families.
The nutritionist shall provide nutrition consultation services within a specified number of hours per week depending on the program’s funded enrollment and budget. Typically this is 20-25 hours per month with flexibility during the first 90 days and /or needs of the program. Hours not to exceed 300 per year.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
Nutritional Support in area of Food Service:
- Develop and/or approve menus for programs and special diets menus as needed (Registered Dietitian), and responsible for all Special Diets and/or provide guidance as needed related to Special Diets (Medical Documentation, Special Diet purchases, Special Diet menu, etc.).
- If needed, support annual CACFP training to all staff and other parties as needed
- Deliver annual training to program staff in the area of nutrition.
- Monitors the acceptance of menu items by children in the program and makes recommendations for menu changes accordingly.
- Utilize menu ideas from Head Start families to ensure that the menu is reflective of local culture and that menu items are familiar to children.
- Acts as a resource and a team member with program staff to plan food-related experiences.
- Notifies a program supervisor of any safety or health issues or concerns.
Additional Nutrition Services/Support
Integrates knowledge of evidence-based practices to promote child and family health and wellness to build a health and nutrition program that:
- Assure that all classrooms have up to date food allergy lists that include food substitutions for children with special diets.
- Provide oversight, guidance, and training to program st aff to child’s p rogram entry.
- Develop specialized diets for children with dietary restrictions and assure that all staff understand children’s special needs
- Helps staff and families understand the relationship between child and family health and nutrition and children’s school readiness outcomes
- Develops strategies to address the health disparities in low-income communities, particularly related to common chronic health conditions such as obesity and low weight
- Supporting the Health Lead in overseeing completion and follow up of yearly nutrition needs for all children in the program, including providing guidance, support and follow-up to develop Individual Care Plans for children with special nutritional needs
- Support Family Advocates with individualized support (goal setting) to families of children with significant nutritional needs, including regular care conferences, care coordination and family education.
- Support the Health Lead in developing community partnerships to assure that children and families preventive health and nutrition treatment needs are met; and that secures long-term relationships for families to providers who will support their children’s long term health and well-being
- Coordinate with Service area teams to develop and implement health and wellness strategies to reduce incidence of childhood obesity , implementing programs best practises
- Effectively coordinate with Family Services/Health, Early Learning, and MH and Disabilities teams to maintain nutrition requirements documentation and follow up
Typically this is 20-25 hours per month with flexibility during the first 90 days and /or needs of the program. Hours not to exceed 300 per year. This position pays $50/hr.
- Registered Dietitian or Licensed Nutritionist
- Experience working with families of children 0-5 in low-income communities supporting their health, nutrition, and wellness goals, training, and experience in nutrition sciences.
- Food services management experience preferred
The mission of Shine Early Learning is to bring a relentless, collective focus on positive child and family outcomes to close the achievement gap and build a better future together for children, families, and communities served by our Head Start partners.